Accepted at the Transfer Station
The following are the items that will be accepted at the transfer station:
- Bulky Waste: Land-clearing debris, demolition debris, furniture, mattresses, box springs, and rugs.
- Scrap Metal: Used or discarded items which consist predominantly of ferrous metals, aluminum, brass, copper, lead, chromium, tin, nickel, or alloys thereof, including but not limited to white goods, automobile parts, playground equipment, lawn chairs, lawn mowers, coat hangers, and aluminum siding.
- Waste Oil: Crankcase oil that has been utilized in internal combustion engines, lubricating oils and diesel oils only.
- Storage Batteries: Lead acid batteries or other batteries used in motor vehicles such as automobiles, boats, tractors, recreational vehicles, and like applications.
- Automobile Tires: Any tires that are 17" or less.
- Small Truck Tires: Any tires over 17" or larger than the maximum size of 20" with a maximum of 12" cross section.
- Large Truck Tires: Any tires over 20".
- Off-Road Tires: Any tires used on farm or industrial machinery that is not identified elsewhere in the above definitions.
- Anti-Freeze: Used cooling agent for combustible engines, unmixed with any other substances except water.
- Electronics: Radios, stereos, televisions, video cassette recorders, computers, and their components, but NOT microwaves.
- Fluorescent Lamps: All lamps which contain mercury.
- Tree Stumps & Logs: Tree parts larger than 4" in diameter that cannot be chipped.
- Yard Trimmings: Grass, leaves, tree, and brush trimmings.
The Town has also entered into an agreement with the Southeastern Connecticut Regional Resources Recovery Authority to provide the Town with Household Hazardous Waste Disposal. With a proof of residency in Franklin, you can dispose of hazardous waste at one of the disposal locations around the county. The schedule for the Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Days can be picked up at the Transfer Station or the Town Hall.